Court of Protection

If you have a loved one who has unfortunately lost the ability to make important decisions, and there is no Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) or Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place, it will be necessary to make an application to the Court of Protection.

Safeguarding the rights of those who lack capacity

Their job is to safeguard the rights of those who lack the capacity to make their own decisions on matters such as finances, property and welfare. They do this through appointing what is known as a ‘Deputy’. This can be a relative or friend, or a solicitor.


If you have found yourself in this situation, we appreciate what an overwhelming time it can be. The good news is that our friendly experts are here to support you when you need it most. We can help with everything, from making the Deputyship application through to acting as Deputy, if this is your preference.

It is always a good idea to have people on your side who truly know their way around the law when it comes to Court of Protection matters, as these can often be complex in nature, and the processes involved fairly time-consuming.

Here at Pickering & Butters we have dedicated specialists ready to help. With extensive experience and an ability to make everything seem clear and straightforward, we hope you’ll feel that a weight has been lifted.

For tailored legal advice on all Court of Protection matters, please get in touch with our Staffordshire solicitors in Stafford and Rugeley