Road Traffic Accident Claims

If an accident on the road has left you injured, perhaps unable to work or enjoy the things you once used to, the dedicated personal injury lawyers at Pickering & Butters are ready to help with a caring, professional service.

Working closely with you to help get you back on your feet as quickly as possible, you’ll find we go all out to understand how the accident has changed things for you. Our core focus is on helping you return to normal, and if that means arranging care or rehabilitative treatment through our close contact network, that’s what we’ll do.

Whether you were a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in an accident, you were driving at the time, were a cyclist or pedestrian hit by a passing vehicle, the fact that the accident wasn’t your fault could mean that you are able to claim compensation for your suffering, for anxiety and for your financial losses.

You no doubt have lots of questions, such as what you can claim for, how much you can claim, who you will claim against, and how the process works. Perhaps you are worried about claiming because the driver of the vehicle is someone you know? Whatever you need to know, we are here to answer all your questions and put your mind at rest.

We are proud to provide clients with top quality advice and service from our solicitors who have years of experience in personal injury claims.

James Wallbank heads our Litigation and Personal injury team and has over 15 years’ experience working at our firm. Supporting James is Managing Partner Jan Boulter, who has over 25 years’ experience in personal injury compensation claims.

If you need assistance with another type of claim, our personal injury page can provide more information on the type of claims our lawyers can assist with.

Speak to our road traffic accident solicitors today

For tailored legal advice on any road traffic accident matter, please get in touch with our Staffordshire solicitors using our simple online enquiry form, emailing or contacting your local office in Stafford or Rugeley.

Road traffic compensation claims – key things to know

Am I owed road traffic accident compensation?

If you were involved in an accident that was the fault of another person and it caused you physical or emotional harm, you are entitled to make a road traffic compensation claim. This includes if you were a driver, passenger or pedestrian.

Can I make a road traffic accident claim if I was partly at fault?

Even if the accident was partly your fault, you are still entitled to make a claim and secure compensation if the accident was at least 50% the other party’s fault. 

The value of compensation is likely to depend on the level of fault attached to the other party. For example, if the blame was 50:50, you can claim for 50% of what the total damages would have been if the other party was entirely to blame.

If you were partly at fault during the road traffic accident, our solicitors can help you make a claim.

Can you still get compensation for whiplash?

Recently, in April 2021, the law around whiplash claims changed under the Civil Liability Act 2018.

The amount of damages you can get for whiplash claims (sometimes otherwise known as soft tissue damage claims) has now been capped in an attempt to reduce the number of claims and speed up the claims process.

But if you do have a road accident claim for soft tissue damage caused by whiplash, it is still possible to claim compensation.

Our team can assist you with a whiplash claim to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.

Can I get compensation for a hit and run?

Even if the road traffic accident you were involved in was a hit and run, you will still be able to claim compensation through the Government’s Untraced Drivers scheme operated by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). One of the eligibility criteria for the scheme is that the accident needs to be reported to the police immediately.

If you were involved in a hit and run accident, our road traffic solicitors can assist you in making a claim through the MIB.

Can I claim compensation against an uninsured driver?

Even if the driver was uninsured, you are still able to claim for compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

If you were involved in a road traffic accident with an uninsured driver, our solicitors can help you with the claiming process.

How much compensation can you claim for a road traffic accident?

There are factors that affect how much you can get for a road traffic compensation claim. As with any type of personal injury claim, the value of the available damages will depend on the extent of your injuries and the general impact that it has on your normal life, including:

  • PSLA (pain, suffering and loss of amenity)
  • Financial losses
  • Expected financial losses
  • Any other financial losses – e.g. home modifications, medical expenses, etc.

During your consultation, our road traffic accident solicitors will be able to give you an estimated figure for the settlement that you could receive.

Is there a time limit to make a road traffic compensation claim?

In the UK, the law generally states that a claimant has three years from the ‘date of knowledge’ to make a road traffic accident claim.

In simple terms, this means you have three years to claim from the date when you became aware that the accident caused your injury and that the accident was at least partly someone else’s fault.

There are certain exceptions to the three-year period, including:

  • The injured person was under the age of 18 – the time limit will commence when they turn 18, which means they will have until their 21st birthday to make a claim.
  • The injured person lacks mental capacity to claim – the time frame is not limited for a ‘litigation friend’ to claim on their behalf.

It is never too early to act; call our road traffic accident solicitors today and let us put your mind at rest.

How can Pickering & Butters help your road traffic claim?

Why not take advantage of our free initial interview? We can see you either at our Stafford or Rugeley offices.

Or if you are unable to attend one of our offices, we are more than happy to visit you at home or in hospital at a time that best suits you. We can talk through what happened, discuss the likely outcome of your claim, and let you know whether you have a good chance of success.

For tailored legal advice on any road traffic accident matter, please get in touch with our Staffordshire solicitors using our simple online enquiry form, emailing or calling your local office.